U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Portage, IN
A 44-year-old female asked:

I've been working on my feet at a restaurant sometimes 8-10 hours a day every day. what can i do to relieve the pain on my big toe, heels and legs. it hurts to walk most times. i have good shoes with insoles and i've had to put cotton balls on the side of

3 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Ronald Oberman
Podiatry 32 years experience
Orthotics: Assuming you already have supportive shoes that fit properly, you will benefit from custom orthotics. These devices fit into shoes and are made to properly support your feet. The type of orthotic is dependent on your foot structure, activity and weight. Consult with a podiatrist.
Dr. Oliver Wang
Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgery 11 years experience
Custom orthotics: See a foot specialist to check alignment of your foot. You may need more support than commercial available arch support. Shoes also need to be checked. A more rigid shoe is needed. It sounds like you have flat feet and are having symptoms that are consistent with this condition. Earth shoes may help offload the ball of your foot.
Dr. Alan Ettinger
Podiatry 50 years experience
Foot evaluation: I would suggest you be evaluated by a podiatrist. There are many treatments that can help with general foot pain.
Dr. Randy Lisch
Dr. Randy Lisch commented
Podiatry 39 years experience
Try a custom orthotic from your podiatrist to rebalance your foot properly
Aug 6, 2012
Last updated Mar 17, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.