blood in stool but suddenly turned red to dark blackish?

Dr. Keith Stockerl-Goldstein
Hematology and Oncology 30 years experience
See a doctor: This needs to be evaluated by a physician to determine the cause of the blood loss.
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Colon and Rectal Surgery 42 years experience
Blood bad in stool: Any amount of bleeding in stool, be it bright red, maroon or black demands prompt and thorough evaluation. Many of the causes will not just go away by themselves and may be life threatening and or life shortening. Go for immediate evaluation.
Dr. TRUC DAO
Dr. TRUC DAO commented
black stool results from bleeding from stomach or higher intestin then blood is broken down by digestive enzyme to become black and very foul smell. You are hemorrhaging adn can die if left untreated. ER treatment immediate to stop bleeding
Aug 30, 2012
Dr. Diane Minich
See your doctor asap: as blood in the stool is never normal Black blood usually means it is coming from the stomach and has changed color due stomach acid and enzymes affecting the blood. If a lot of blood or black or you are dizzy or weak go to ER.