Brooklyn, NY

Lexapro (escitalopram) versus generic, what's up? started generic lexapro (escitalopram) for the first time ever (never take any ssris before). now i read online about people switching from the brand 2 generic and having problems.

Dr. Donald Jacobson
41 years experience
Different levels: Generics can result in a different blood level for many reasons. It is fine to stay on the generics with the dosage adjusted as needed, or go back and pay far more for the brand name. The first option is usually adequate. I don't expect that this is very common. I have 800 patients, with probably 50 or 75 on Lexapro (escitalopram) and I have only once had to make a dosage adjustment for a generic.
Dr. Erica Bial
Specializes in Pain Management
Unlikely problem: If you are in the United States or another industrialized nation, generally speaking, the generics are virtually the same as the brand name - especially if you stick with the same generic, once you and your doctor find the right dose for you, blood levels of the active ingredient should remain stable.
Dr. Krishna Kumar
Lexapro (escitalopram) Generic: Usually Lexapro generic ( escitalopram) is effective for treatment of depression. It is possible that some manufactures of generic Lexapro have better quality. Please speak with your pharmacist about the manufactures of generic lexapro.
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Alianswered
Lexapro (escitalopram): Most people respond well to generic medications, plus they are cheeper.
Last updated Sep 29, 2016