Lexapro (escitalopram) versus generic, what's up? started generic lexapro (escitalopram) for the first time ever (never take any ssris before). now i read online about people switching from the brand 2 generic and having problems.

11 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Donald Jacobson answered

Specializes in

Generics can result in a different blood level for many reasons. It is fine to stay on the generics with the dosage adjusted as needed, or go back and pay far more for the brand name. The first option is usually adequate. I don't expect that this is very common. I have 800 patients, with probably 50 or 75 on Lexapro (escitalopram) and I have only once had to make a dosage adjustment for a generic.

Answered Jun 27, 2014

4.9k views