San Antonio, TX

Can lexapro (escitalopram) be taken with plavix, 81mg asprin and 5 mg lisiniprol? i read it may incr. ssri levels and anti platelet effects. what does that mean?

Dr. Bennett Werner
Cardiology 44 years experience
Use with caution: As with all meds, use is determined by balancing benefits against potential adverse rxns. You're right on both counts: there is incr. Ssri levels and more anti-platelet effect. Beware of abn. Bleeding/bruising. Hyperreflexia and tremor can occur. Rarely, more serious effects like anxiety, agitation, tachycardia and altered thinking (serotonin sydrome).
Dr. Donald Jacobson
undefined 40 years experience
Increased risk bleed: The combination when taken together causes an increase risk for you to develop a bleed. The risk is greatest in the G.I. Tract especially when you have Ibuprofen on board. I would definitely talk to your doctor about whether you should even be taking Ibuprofen with this combination. The other risk is for a bleed into your brain. You should avoid anything that will cause an increased risk of blood pressure inside your brain. In particular do not strain on the toilet. You could raise the blood pressure inside your head and cause one of the blood vessels to become leaky. It happened to me while also taking coumadin (warfarin).

Last updated Jan 30, 2021