Fall River, MA

I was diagnosed with lichen sclerosis in 2010 in the genital. it's back now and worse than ever. blister, cuts, itchy. what can i use now to stop itch?

Dr. Gregory Lewis
Urology 45 years experience
Topical steroids: Assuming the diagnosis is correct and under supervision of your physician topical corticosteroid preparations are the main stay of treatment for genital lichen sclerosus. Improvement is common if the more potent topical steroids are used (e.g. Betamethasone diproprionate 0.05% or clobetasol proprionate 0.05% cream or ointment) 1-2x/day for for 4-6 weeks, then tapered.
Dr. Lynne Weixel
Clinical Psychology 37 years experience
Hydrocortisone: Possibly the recommendation will again be the Hydrocortisone cream but perhaps for a longer but spaced out time. See your doctor again to be sure. I hope it goes well, try not to worry it seems to be not too unusual. Here's a link: http://www.Medicinenet.Com/lichen_sclerosus/article.Htm.
Dr. Richard Levin
Urology 33 years experience
I will also get checked out to make sure it's not a fungal superinfection
Sep 22, 2013
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology 31 years experience
Lichen Sclerosus is a chronic disease and usually requires chronic treatment. Ongoing use of topical steriods is usually effective. Ongoing surveillance is necessary as Lichen Sclerosus is associated with the development of squamous cell cancer in the affected area - effective treatment will minimize that risk.
Sep 22, 2013

Last updated Jun 25, 2014