Georgia

i was diagnosed with 5.2cm ovarian cyst and my doctor told me to take bc pills. will these pills reduce the size of the cyst or stop its growth?

Dr. Chevies Newman
They will likely: Stop the growth. It is likely what we call a "simple cyst" which means it just has fluid, or a hemmorragic cyst with blood it it. It's not gonna be cancer but you will need follow up to ensure resolution. It will likely resolve on its own. Good luck.
Dr. Tracey Leaver-Williams
Stop growth: The goal of the pills is to inhibit ovarian function (ovulation) and there by reduce your risk of further development. Also your current cyst is likely to resolve on it's own but the pills will prevent new ones.
Dr. Alan Patterson
If it is a simple fluid filled cyst usually it will, but not always so u will need to get follow up US and then u should stay on pills to prevent future cysts
Sep 21, 2013

Last updated Sep 22, 2013