El Paso, TX

after mcl surgery, my doctor said not to bend my knee, why can't i bend my knee?

Dr. Daniel Solomon
Orthopedic Surgery 27 years experience
Mcl changes length: Depending how your surgeon fixed the mcl, the ligament itself has a couple areas that change length as you flex or bend your knee. Keepin it straight. For 2-3 weeks will keep those areas from stretching out and will allow you to heal the repair. You should be able to do a straight leg raise to keep your quad muscle tone.
Dr. Jimmy Bowen
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 34 years experience
MCL Surgery: Usually this means that you had a complete tear of the mcl if it required surgery. Movement of the knee can cause stress to the repair. The surgeon wants the repair to become more viable before you begin to start any movement. Do what your surgeon advises for the best outcome.