my dr wants to put me on latuda (lurasidone) for bipolar. what can you tell me about this med?

Dr. Arman Danielyan
Child Psychiatry 29 years experience
Bipolar depression: Latuda (lurasidone) is one of only 3 medications that have approval for bipolar depression. Based on recent studies, it also seems to be one of the most metabolically neutral medications, ie, doesn't seem to cause much weight gain or increase in your blood sugar or lipids, compared to other atypical antipsychotics.
Dr. Samuel Miles
It is important to take this medicine with food!
Sep 13, 2013
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Latuda (lurasidone): Latuda (lurasidone) is an atypical antipsychotic that is fda-approved for bipolar depression. Most other atypical antipsychotics treat bipolar mania better than they do depression. It's mostly well-tolerated, but restlessness, weight gain, drowsiness, and stiff movements are possible.
Dr. Arman Danielyan
Child Psychiatry 29 years experience
Latuda (lurasidone) for bipolar : Latuda (lurasidone) is approved for schizophrenia and bipolar depression. Tends not to cause much weight gain or lipid/blood glucose elevation compared to other atypical antipsychotics. Need to take once a day, but make sure take it with at least 300 kal meal, otherwise it wont work.
Dr. Martin Raff
Infectious Disease 56 years experience
Latuda (lurasidone): An atypical antipsychotic drug recently approved for treating bipolar disorder. Numerous side-effects make discussion difficult in this limited space. You should discuss with the doctor treating you (hopefully an expert trained in the field of psychiatry). Good luck.