can drug abuse cause mental health problems?

Dr. Adriana Cordal
Yes.: Drug abuse has been associated with a number of different mental health problems. Mood changes (depression, anger outbursts), impulsive behavior, psychosis, anxiety, social withdrawal, lack of motivation are all common consequences of drug abuse. There are studies that show specific mental health problems associated with certain drugs.
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff commented
Infectious Disease 56 years experience
But unfortunately you may have preexisting mental health problems if you became a drug abuser.
Mar 21, 2012
Dr. Adriana Cordal
Provided original answer
True, it can work both ways. Once the abuse starts, the original problem if present will most likely get worse.
Mar 21, 2012