Fort Walton Beach, FL

what age does hearing fully develop in an infant and how can loud constant music effect an infant? what decible is considered harmful to a 1 year old?

Dr. Cornelia Franz
Specializes in Pediatrics
Birth: Hearing is developed at birth...Sooner...As we know unborn babies can hear their parents voices! and they respond to music. No one should be listening to music louder than 85 decibels.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics 50 years experience
A newborn should : have good hearing & pass the newborn hearing screen in both ears. Hearing is fully developed by the end of the first month. Regular exposure to 85 decibels (dB) or > for a prolonged period of time, to 100 dB for > 15 minutes & to 110 dB or > for > 1 minute can cause permanent Noise-Induced Hearing Loss. Genetic predisposition to NIHL plays a role. See http://www.noisyplanet.nidcd.nih.gov for more.