U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Hemphill, TX
A 60-year-old male asked:

i had rk surgery in the 80, s and now need catarac surgery how will that go ?

3 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
Dr. Tim Conrad
Ophthalmology 34 years experience
Okay: Previous rk surgery makes predicting the implant powers difficult. This means it is possible that you may need more than just one surgery to get your eye where it need to be. Work with your eye surgeon and good luck!
Dr. Harold Peltan
Ophthalmology 28 years experience
Your cataract surgeon can adjust the surgical technique to work around the weak spots caused by the RK.
Sep 5, 2013
Dr. Alice Epitropoulos
Ophthalmology 32 years experience
ORA: You may want to ask your surgeon about the ora (intraoperative aberrometer) which allows for intraoperative measurements for the implant after the cataract is removed. This may help to confirm the iol power, especially beneficial in patients with previous refractive surgery.
Dr. Alan Jackson
Addiction Medicine 30 years experience
Great suggestion, these are not readily available or accessible in privte practice
Sep 5, 2013
Dr. Harvey Fishman
Ophthalmology 21 years experience
Also ask your surgeon about total corneal power using Optovue 's anterior segment oct.
Sep 5, 2013
Dr. Lloyd Williams
Ophthalmology 13 years experience
RK makes a challenge: Rk makes calculating the right lens to put in your eye after cataract surgery more challenging. In other words, there is a greater chance that you will need glasses after cataract surgery. Also, depending on how many cuts were in your rk, making the incisions for cataract surgery can be more difficult. Overall, though cataract surgery after rk is very similar to cataract surgery without rk.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with

Similar questions

A 30-year-old member asked:

What can be done for an anal fissure after two operation of anal dilatation?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Buck Parker
General Surgery 17 years experience
Sphincterotomy: After less invasive approaches fail (such as dilation and medication), a lateral sphincterotomy (cutting of the internal anal sphincter) can be performed to help heal the fissure.
A 41-year-old member asked:

Must I get a flu shot every year if I have had moved to independent living?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Luis Villaplana
Internal Medicine 35 years experience
REGARDLESS, YOU : Should have a flu shot every year.
A 23-year-old female asked:

Would it be smart to get checked for adhesions that may have evolved from a c-section I had 4 years ago?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Bryan Treacy
Gynecology 35 years experience
Depends: If a patient has had surgery, they will most generally form adhesions. This is very true for women who've had cesarean delivery. If the goal is pain reduction, it may be worth have laparoscopy, but if just curious, may not be worth the risk involved having surgery.
A 29-year-old female asked:

I mis3periods, but had symps.Went to gyn, he said IV period but stuck.Did curetag.Becos languag, I culdnt undestand why hapnd.Not preg, tak pil2regulate.?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Annette Fineberg
Obstetrics and Gynecology 29 years experience
Probably yes: You should have had blood work to see if there is a fixable hormonal reason why you are skipping your periods. In general the pill is an excellent and safe way to regulate your periods. I recommend either asking more questions (maybe going with a list or a friend) so you understand your treatment better. It is unusual to do a D&C for a "stuck" period. Usually that can be treated with medicine.
Fort Lauderdale, FL
A 39-year-old female asked:

My 17year old son just had a 12 lead ECG done it showed t wave inversions in ii, iii, avf & v4. Could the barium from an ugi series cause this?

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Vance Harris
Family Medicine 37 years experience
Nonspecific: T wave inversion may be part of a normal ekg and has to interpreted by a doctor. Inverted t wave is normal in iii and sometimes other leads without meaning anything alarming. Have the doctor let you know what they think. The ekg interpretation can change with age as well so you need expertise to read them at this age.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
$30 per visit with
Last updated Mar 31, 2014

People also asked

Related topics

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$30 per visit with


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.