I have a lump in my neck, under the jaw, near my ear.could it be cancer?

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology 48 years experience
There is a long: Differnetial of benign and malignant causes ...If there recently could be infection, if slowly enlarging, could be developmental, but to find the answer requires a thorough exam by an ENT doc, who may uses internal viewing and in=maging.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Jefferson Chen
Neurosurgery 35 years experience
Hard to say: This would depend on the size of the lump and if it has changed significantly over time. If it is mobile and large, this could be suspicious for a cancer. You also need to check if there are other "lumps" that would suggest lymph nodes which could just be infection, but could also represent lymphoma. You should have this checked out.
Dr. Marina Landa
Pathology 33 years experience
Benign or malignant: Please show neck lump to your primary doctor and ask to perform fine needle aspiration- fast and informative procedure. Fna- when doctor aspirating cells from your lesion by very thin needle and evaluating these cells under microscope, doctor-pathologist can tell you is it benign or malignant tumor. Possible, it is pleomorphic adenoma-benign tumor. Doctor's examination is necessary.
Last updated Oct 4, 2016