My husband(35.5 yrs) is on atorvastatin 10 mg for 2 months. hdl 42, ldl 93, ratio 3.5. dr. has advised to take it for 2 more months.is it safe to ttc?

Dr. Jason Gittman
48 years experience
Atorvastatin: Atorvastatin is contraindicated in pregnancy, so it should probably discontinued by any female taking the drug who is trying to conceive. However, I am not aware of any reason why a male would need to discontinue the drug if a couple is trying to conceive.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Gabriel Goren
60 years experience
Safe: If he has no evidence of muscle pain or bad liver function tests. However, if you husband has a family history of hyperlipidemia or regardless of history he has independently higher than normal levels i would consider continuing with statin medication to lower chances for ugly complications later in life. These drugs are extremely helpful! when indicated!
Dr. Alvin Lin
Geriatrics 32 years experience
Atorvastatin: Atorvastatin, like all statins & cholesterol lowering medications, is not typically intended for short-term use, but rather life-long to lower one's risk for heart attacks, strokes, etc. However, I have offered to stop this medication if someone is able to change their lifestyle dramatically. Regardless, your husband's statin should have no impact on you but you can't take it during pregnancy.
Dr. Alvin Lin
Dr. Alvin Lin commented
Geriatrics 32 years experience
Provided original answer
To clarify last sentence, statins are Pregnancy Category X so you can't take it if you're trying to get or are pregnant. And if you're trying to conceive now, ask your doc for a prenatal vitamin to lower your risk for neural tube defect. Now is also a good time to get yourself as healthy as possible before getting pregnant (doesn't mean you can't TTC) via healthy nutrition & regular exercise.
Aug 31, 2013
Last updated Jun 24, 2014