what are good and bad things about using 3d imaging to make invisalign?

Dr. Paul Williams
Invisalign: I would imagine that the imaging is ct scanning. This does expose you to a slight dose of radiation. The 3d wizardry is done with software so that its still just one scan - although the slices (images)might be thinner meaning more scanning time but its only one scan and most centers use dose limiting algorithms to minimize radiation exposure.
Dr. Stanley Siu
Cosmetic Dentistry 17 years experience
Many good: Digital 3d scans eliminate the need for uncomfortable & messy impressions otherwise needed for treatment. The efficiency & accuracy of duplicating your teeth is increased exponentially resulting in better fit of aligners, more effective treatment, & better end results. The 3d scan is instantly uploaded to invisalign reducing turnaround time by half. Bad is may take slightly longer to scan teeth.
Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Cosmetic Dentistry 25 years experience
+ / -: The good is improved accuracy and speed of delivery of the case. The bad is you need to buy 3-d scanner and there is a learning curve.
Dr. David Duguid
Dentistry 29 years experience
Mostly good: Hi matt. I have to agree with most of the dentists who did respond. The itero scanner is fantastic for accuracy and scanning is the wave of the future. It allows for better fitting aligners. Like some other dentists have said, it does require a learning curve but once mastered it's amazing. The cost of a scanner to the practitioner is inhibitory. Another negative is it's a mouthful.
Dr. Pablo Cuevas
Prosthodontics 35 years experience
3D imaging is great: 3d imaging with an itero is great. No more impressions and putty to set in your mouth. However you have to be patient and be able to open your mouth widely. With 3d imaging you can get the clincheck back much faster. The accuracy is fantastic.
Dr. Mark Kurchak
Orthodontics 39 years experience
All good: 3d imaging has been around for awhile. The technique is amazing and your teeth are aligned so you know what your results will be before you start. The only downside is the cost.
Dr. Hilary Baskin
Orthodontics 28 years experience
Not much: its more comfortable than taking an impression, but the end results are the same
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 36 years experience
3d imaging : Request your invisalign provider to present you ClinCheck by Invisalign. It shows a computerized 3D image of your teeth moving each aligner at the time Then you will know what to expect by each aligner and each step of the treatment. You can see where you started and what you are supposed to look like when you are finished. Your Hollywood smile can be viewed from any angle. Good luck.