Syracuse, NY

My tongue ulcer is getting larger, but my ent says i'm at a low risk of cancer (no smoking or drinking), and that it doesn't need to be biopsied. i worry anyway when it grows. should i?

Dr. Carlos Encarnacion
Medical Oncology 36 years experience
Well....: It's hard for me to argue without seeing the lesion and knowing how long it's been there (especially if already seen by an ent). My PC answer is: even non-smokers/drinkers can develop head and neck cancer and any non healing ulcer should be evaluated properly. Hopefully it's nothing and your ENT is right but it is not a sin to look for second opinion if in doubt. No disrespect intended.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology 48 years experience
Whenever your: Doctor's advice worries you, despite questioning, seek a second opinion. Oral tongue lesions are commonly. But not alwasys associated with smoking and drinking. Base of tingue and throat cancers increasingingly are assoicated with the hpv virus without hx of smoking. Get another opinion.
Dr. Maryam Chiani
Dentistry 30 years experience
Consult: It would be wise to show that lesion to your dentist as well to be sure.
Last updated Nov 2, 2015