I got a root canal done years ago. the temporary filling fell out and never got replaced. now i have infection. i am on amoxicillin. its day 3 and my tooth still hurts. when will the pain go away?

7 doctors weighed in across 4 answers

Need treatment: You have an infection and no telling what shape your tooth is in after being ignored for so long. You need to see a dentist asap. The antibiotic alone will not cure your infection. You need treatment. Your dentist can give you your options for treating this problem.

Answered 11/29/2014

4.9k views

Dr. Gary Sandler answered

Specializes in Dentistry

When problem solved: We have no way of knowing if your root canal therapy was ever completed? Quality of the treatment? Recurrent infection? Fractured root? Adjacent tooth? Gum infection? Etc. Etc. I suggest a few things: first, see your dentist to go over your options for this particular problem. Second, follow the recommendations. Third, learn from your experience and get all your treatment done in a timely fashion.

Answered 2/2/2017

4.9k views

Dr. Lynn Judd answered

Root canal seal lost: If the root canal was not sealed bacteria get into the canals!

Answered 5/6/2016

4.9k views

May Not: The pain may not go away without further treatment.

Answered 9/25/2015

4.9k views