Had shingles in my ear and lost my hearing.inf. disease dr. said i must take valtrex (valacyclovir) 1gm daily for the rest of my life.i am 65, is this necessary?

10 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Oscar Novick answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

Valtrex (valacyclovir): Valtrex (valacyclovir) is usually prescribed for a week or two. To take for a life time seems excessive. Get a second opinion from a neurologist or ENT specialist.

Answered 6/10/2014

5k views

NO NO NO: The dr is totally wrong! no harm except the cost, but the virus is no longer the problem. The nerve was damaged. 1 week of valacyclovir is all you needed. Now see a ENT dr for help with nerve deafness.

Answered 6/10/2014

5k views

Dr. Maulik Shah answered

Specializes in Clinical Genetics

No: There are no consensus guidelines on the prevention of neuritis (nerve inflammation) in herpes zoster involving the nerves responsible for hearing. However, i would only consider continuous treatment if you are 1. Immunosuppressed or 2. If you have continuing inflammation involving any of the cranial nerves (nerves coming off of the brain). This can be detected by a gadolinium scan.

Answered 4/7/2016

4.5k views