Conyers, GA

I have had shingles 4 times on my face area. i am only 27. dr just keeps prescription valtrex (valacyclovir) and nothing more. i worry about my immune system. what 2 ask dr?

Dr. Arthur Balin
Dermatology 49 years experience
Shingles: Are you sure that you had shingles? (due to varicella zoster virus) it is unusual to get it twice unless your immune system is depressed. However it would be likely to have recurrent bouts of herpes simplex in the same area. When a new bout develops ask your doctor to culture the blisters for laboratory identification of the virus. The treatments are the same but the implications for you health.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology 59 years experience
See a dermatologist: Not shingles. A dermatologist will make correct diagnosis with ease. If recurrent cold sore--------herpes simplex------ you take 1 or 2 doses at onset of symptoms (prodrome).
Last updated Aug 7, 2015