U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Tempe, Arizona
A 18-year-old male asked:

Chronic mid back pain for 3 years. my doctor said muscle spasms and i went to a chiropractor and spine doctor all with no help. ?

2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Bahman Omrani
Pain Management 19 years experience
18 y/o w/ 3 yrs MBP : It certainly could be muscle spasms, but after 3 years, need to look at why your back is staying in spasms. Is it a structural problem? Bad ergonomics or posture? Congenital? Acquired? Sport related? Etc. Detailed history, physical exam, x-ray and MRI would answer many of these questions. Core strengthening of your mid-section/thoraco-lumbar-abdominal muscles is likely to help. Good luck.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Douglas Linville II
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 32 years experience
Correct diagnosis: Adolescents do not have ddd. They may have MRI findings of this, but generally speaking, ddd is extremely unusual in this age group. I would be more suspicious of scheuermann's disease (may be present without spinal deformity, but MRI findings will show multiple "degenerative" discs, spinal stenosis, herniated discs, etc.). I would invest some time and find a doc that will pursue the right dx.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jun 10, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.