what does it mean when a man has cerebrospinal fluid rhinorrhea?

Dr. Martin Raff
Infectious Disease 56 years experience
There is a defect: This means that the person is leaking spinal fluid from their nose. This often occurs with skull fractures to the base of the brain, usually in an area called the cribiform plate. It can lead to meningitis and is often managed by surgical correction and/or antibiotic prophylaxis.
Dr. Reza Karimi
Neurosurgery 16 years experience
Spinal fluid leak: This means the spinal fluid, which normally surrounds the brain and spinal cord, is leaking through the skull base into the nose. There are many causes, including trauma, infections, a tumor, or following surgery of the brain or sinuses. Untreated spinal fluid leaks can cause meningitis (a serious infection) and should be evaluated by a neurosurgeon.