Houma, LA

i have toothpaste that comtains sodium floride 0.24% and floride ion 0.15% i use like huge amounts when i brush my teeth. is swallowing some ok?

Dr. Alvaro Lazo
Dentistry 24 years experience
It depends: Fluride is poisoning if swallowed. However small quantities should not cause any harm.
Dr. Matthew Kooyman
Cosmetic Dentistry 21 years experience
Yes, a little is ok.: Swallowing a little amount of tooth is ok. If toothpaste is swallowed in large amounts it can be a problem. After brushing try to swish the toothpaste around a little and then spit out as much as you can. After that if you swallow a little it should be ok.
Dr. Alice Urbankova
Cosmetic Dentistry 17 years experience
Rather not: I would recommend not to swallow, Fluoride is important for your teeth but only used as a topical agent not systemically. Therefore spit well the residual amounts.
Dr. Mike Deldar
Cosmetic Dentistry 24 years experience
You will be ok: Try next time use much smaller amount of toothpaste, the mechanical action of tooth brush is more important to keep your teeth clean. Brush at least for 2-3 minutes.
Dr. Jerry Hu
Dr. Jerry Huanswered
Cosmetic Dentistry 23 years experience
Try not to swallow: You will be okay, but as general rule, don't swallow toothpaste.
Dr. Michael Wexler
Cosmetic Dentistry 23 years experience
To put it in perspective, a healthy adult would have to swallow about a whole large tube of toothpaste to even be concerned about a potential fluoride overdose. I don't recommend attempting this. Also, using "huge" amounts of toothpaste will not make your teeth any healthier. Proper brushing/flossing technique is more important than the toothpaste amount to keep teeth/gums healthy.
Aug 1, 2015