Leicester, MA

my mri showed a tfcc tear. i've had cortisone and used a splint for 2 months. the pain has decreased. is the tfcchealed or is surgery still needed?

Dr. Martin Raff
Infectious Disease 56 years experience
See an orthopedist: The only person who can answer this is your orthopedist who can evaluate you with an exam and an interpretation of the imaging studies. Go back and see them.
Dr. Robert Gluck
Hand Surgery 39 years experience
TFCC Tear: Generally speaking if the pain has resolved and the wrist is stable (i.E not loose on exam), then you should be ok. There are certainly situations where the tfcc is not fully "healed" but symptoms resolve. Typically these can be left alone, though it it certainly possible for symptoms to recur, dependent to some degree on your activity level.
Dr. Andrew Bronstein
Hand Surgery 36 years experience
Healing: The improvement is encouraging and a step away from surgery. As long as immobilization and or injection(s) up to three have improved the condition than surgery is not warranted. The tfcc can be considered healed when asymptomatic. If rarely painful, fully functional, then surgery is not warranted regardless of MRI finding. 30% of people older than 30 have mris with tfcc changes w/o injury.