Do you think i should apply ice or heat to a sprained ankle?

Dr. Grace Torres-hodges
Podiatry 23 years experience
RICE when acute: If you just sprained your ankle, follow the rice protocol - rest, ice, compression and elevate. Also follow-up with a foot/ankle specialist to have the injury examined. Even if you can walk on it, it won't hurt to have it checked properly.
Dr. Wenjay Sung
Podiatry 14 years experience
Ice and more ice: Try resting it (for 1-2 weeks), icing, compressing wraps or bracing, and elevating your rolled ankle. Take otc antiinflammatory drugs like advil (ibuprofen) or Motrin as directed by the manufacturer to help. Heat increases swelling and makes the healing process worse. Although the skin feels good, it doesn't help the sprained ankle.