treating thyroid cancer with armour, is this good or bad? why do i see it ok with holistic dr.s but not so much with my endocrinologist?

2 doctor answers
44 years experience Pathology
Old-fashioned: Endocrinologists do not like Armour Thyroid because it's hard to standardize. I defer to them. Be very sure to tell your primary treating physician for your cancer about any "holistic" meds.
Answered on Jun 24, 2014
1
1
Dr. Kenneth Bennet
18 years experience Nuclear Medicine
In addition, because Armour thyroid is hard to standardize, you will need to keep adjusting your dose. For the average hypothyroid patient, Armour thyroid is fine. For thyroid cancer however, the thyroid hormones act as a tumor suppressing agent and you need to keep your TSH level low. This is much more difficult with Armour because one of the components T3 has a very short half life compared to T4(levothyroxine). I would still discuss it with your Endocrinologist.
Aug 5, 2013
Dr. Michael Wolfe
23 years experience ENT and Head and Neck Surgery
Fine if levels OK: The main purposes of thyroid hormone after treatment for thyroid cancer are to replace what your body needs and to suppress cancer growth. This is done by giving you slightly higher than normal doses. It is best to keep TSH as low as possible without symptoms of hyperthyroidism. This can be done with armour thyroid. You should be treated by any doctor qualified and using standard of care.
Answered on Apr 24, 2015