U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Chicago, IL
A 32-year-old male asked:

Doc prescribed me klonopin (clonazepam) 1mg, once daily for anxiety. can i cut these pills in half and try a smaller dose? i'd prefer the smallest effective dose.

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Psychiatry 43 years experience
You could, but: You need to ask your doctor if this is okay with him/her. Some people might use .5mg bid if needed. Also, hopefully this will be a temporary medication for you -- and you're also getting a further assessment for your anxiety? With a psychiatrist and/or psychologist or other psychotherapist? There are excellent non-drug treatments for anxiety, not usually provided by primary care. Be well.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jun 23, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.