MI

I have a fear of getting sick. when i feel sick, i tend to freak out. my dad says that i am making my self sick by freaking out. is that true?

Pathology 44 years experience
Life experience: Moliere's hypochondriac patient was cured only by becoming a physician himself. Some folks have an irrational fear of disease as others do of flying. As you learn more about your body through life and reading, you'll learn what needs to be seen and what doesn't. If your fear still seems irrational, brief cognitive-behavioral / educational treatment as a phobia can help.
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Not Exactly: The key is that your brain is connected to your body and can influence the course of illness.
Dr. Leonard Lado
Fear of getting sick: Your fear is type of catastrophic thinking characteristic of a condition called generalized anxiety but requires many other symptoms to meet criteria. Being sick also implies a loss of control of your daily routines and schedule. The fact that you are asking this question implies that you have recognize this as a problem and want to change. Your type of thinking can have a snowball effect.
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology 14 years experience
CBT for some works: In contrast to other forms of psychotherapy, cognitive therapy is usually more focused on the present, more time-limited, and more problem-solving oriented. In addition, patients learn specific skills that they can use for the rest of their lives. These skills involve identifying distorted thinking, modifying beliefs, relating to others in different ways, and changing behaviors.

Last updated Oct 4, 2016