Stanford, CA

what's the best way to determine the ideal body weight?

Dr. Gregory Robertson
General Surgery 36 years experience
Estimate with BMI: No simple tool is perfect, the the bmi does provide a rough estimate.Bmi equals your weight in pounds mulitplied by 703 then divided by the square of your height in inches. 18-25 is ideal, 25-30 is overweight, over 30 is obese and less than 18 is underweight. It is inaccurate in very muscular individuals, where the calculated value will be too high due to muscle mass.
Dr. Ted King
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
There are also any number of free apps fro smart phones and sites online that will calculate your BMI for you as long as you know your height and weight.
Jun 15, 2013
Dr. Thomas Fiala
Plastic Surgery 33 years experience
Simply measuring your waist circumference is also good. Your waist circumference should be less than 50% of your height.
Jun 23, 2013