United Kingdom (Great Britain)

I have a obsession to bite my toe nails? i know it's disgusting! and i try telling mysel not to i just can't help it? what can i do to help stop?

Dr. Lynne Weixel
Clinical Psychology 37 years experience
My, you are limber!: Congratulations of your physical capabilities. If you really want to stop, you can put some sort of safe but unpleasant coating on your toes. Try hot pepper sauce or vinegar or non-poisonous body lotion or ointment. That sort of deterrent should make the experience pretty non-reinforcing. A therapist who knows how to treat ocd may be able to help. Good luck!
Dr. Janet Kail
29 years experience
Biting toenails: It is not a healthy idea to bite your toenails because of all the fungus and bacteria associated with nails. You might try putting capsaicin cream on them as it is hot and will burn your mouth if you attempt biting. Also, sounds like you may have a psychological issue that needs to be addressed by a psychologist or psychiatrist. I would ask primary care doctor for referral.
Dr. Jeffrey Bowman
39 years experience
You: Really need some professional help because this is difficult habit to stop and if you continue with all the bacteria/ fungus you can get very sick.
Last updated Jun 30, 2021