are children who get the mmr vaccine at higher risk for autism?

Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
No: The study that seemed to suggest otherwise turned out to be a fake.
Dr. Arthur Torre
Pediatric Allergy and Asthma 51 years experience
No: The original studies that showed an association between MMR and autism have been discredited and many more studies have shown no association.
Dr. Scott Katz
No: This is a common misconception. The issue has been studied numerous times and no link has been found between MMR (or any vaccine) and autism. Unfortunately, the web is a greater source of misinformation than information. Please discuss with your pediatrician before putting your child, and others, at risk by delaying or avoiding vaccination.
Dr. Timothy Ashley
Internal Medicine and Pediatrics 15 years experience
Adding: the initial study that purported to establish this link has been exposed as a clear fraud and withdrawn by its publisher.
Jan 21, 2012
Dr. Gregory Liptak
Specializes in Pediatrics
No: Many reliable studies have shown no connection between autism and the MMR vaccine. Earlier work suggesting a connection was bad science and has been discredited.
Dr. Ruben Nazario
Specializes in Pediatrics
No: Although there was a lot of information floating around the web about a link between the MMR vaccine and autism, there are no credible studies to establish such a link. The lead author of the study that established such links has been widely discredited for manipulating the evidence and data in his research.
No: No, the MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine does not increase nor decrease a child's risk of autism. However, the disease called measles is a highly contagious viral infection that can cause brain damage, so it is best to get the MMR vaccine and avoid catching measles.
Dr. Julia Sundel
No: This has not been proven.The rate of autism has been rising steadily over the past 30 years. This has been the pattern even before the MMR vaccine was introduced. Many children are diagnosed after their first birthday (when the vaccine is given) because they don't meet specific milestones.
Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Jay Parkanswered
No: This is really a tragedy that a few of malicious pseudoscientists misled many innocent individuals to believe as if MMR vaccine has caused autism. The original article contending the link between MMR vaccine and autism was officially removed and discredited. A number of well controlled studies disapproved the theory as well. Autism is a disorder with heavy genetic influence.
Dr. Kevin Rodbell
No: No, but children who don't get MMR are at risk for measles, mumps, & rubella. Parents in my practice attended the funeral of a 2 year-old boy who died from measles. By contrast, of ~1700 teens affected by last summer's mumps outbreak in ny, none appear to have been left sterile or infertile--protected because their parents gave them the mmr. My friends, the decision--and responsibity--is ours.
Dr. Alfredo Soto
this lie was created by a doctor who has since lost his medical license for falsifying his results
Oct 7, 2011
Dr. Josephine Ruiz-healy
No: A manipulated, false study has created a regrettable phobia toward the vaccine. We need to look at many toxins in our environment that we freely consume and give to our children as possible culprits for autism.
Dr. Mark Diamond
No: Absolutely not! there is not 1 shred of evidence anywhere that supports the notion that the MMR somehow triggers or causes autism there are mountains of research rejecting that thought. The sad result of misinformation disseminated through various media by truly uninformed folks has led to reemergence of these diseases with some cases of serious complications. Let put this to bed once and for all.
Dr. John Leander Po
Infectious Disease 18 years experience
Fraudulent link: Several studies have disproven the link, which was originally published in 1998 by dr. Andrew wakefield. An investigation by the british medical journal (bmj) concluded that dr.Wakefield faked data and created an elaborate fraud, causing long-lasting damage to public health. In fact, the original study was eventually retracted in 2010, and dr, wakefield lost his license.
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
I agree. Numerous studies have shown no increased risks for autism with any current (or past) vaccines.
Mar 6, 2012
Dr. Deborah Archer
agree with all comments. short simple answer is NO
Jul 14, 2012
Dr. Elizabeth Finley-Belgrad
Child Psychiatry 34 years experience
May trigger abn rxn: Some immunologically vulnerable kids have had negative reactions form the multiple vaccine. Kids that are ill or who have personal or strong family hx of auto immune DX may really benefit from vit a and vit c to support their immune system w/ vaccine.
Dr. William Singer
Pediatric Neurology 51 years experience
there is no scientific evidence that links MMR with Autism.
Sep 13, 2013
Dr. William Singer
Pediatric Neurology 51 years experience
No evidence: There have been many studies that have shown no relationship between MMR and autism.
Dr. Alan Koenigsberg
No.: Within the general medical community, there is no controversy about vaccines and autism. Based on the research, there is no correlation, and the vaccines are safe. We are doing our best to encourage parents to have their children get the appropriate vaccinations. Science is a continuing learning process--if more information comes along, rest assured we will let everyone know.