please explain why people grind their teeth when they are sleeping?

Dr. David Mcnay
Dentistry 26 years experience
Possibly...: Some folks go to bed hungry, but most grind as a part of their anatomical predisposition. The distance the upper jaw sits from the lower, the amount of stress the person undergoes, the musculoskeletal alignment, the placement of the teeth, and other things contribute. Best bet to stop it is a well-made night guard made by a dentist. This would be my encouragement unless the sound helps you sleep.
Dr. Gary Klugman
Dentistry 46 years experience
Lots of reasons: For some people it is built in neurologically, others it is a symptom of a disease. Some do it because of stress, some because their teeth don't fit together.