Fremont, CA

I have a dorsal ganglion cyst on my wrist..it is not painful but is it safe to get removed? any complications/scaring wit surgery for this?

Dr. Aruna Adaikkalam
If small/ painless: No need for sugery if small and painless as by the time they are ready to operate it is even difficult to identify it . But if it is large and symptomatic with pain then needs to be operated.Hand surgeons/general orthopedic doctors are good for this surgery . Receurrence despite the surgery is one of the common complications of this cyst. Scar usually is small. Post op. Wound infectn/keloid can+.
Dr. Gregory Robertson
General Surgery 36 years experience
Ganglion options: If not painful, nothing is required. If painful, it may be aspirated and injected with a mild steroid, or it may be excised. They do occasionally resolve spontaneously. All surgery results in scarring, from the natural healing process, and there are other structures nearby that could be damaged, but the risk is low and result usually excellent.
Dr. John Erickson
Hand Surgery 17 years experience
Try aspiration first: Ganglions are common benign cysts in the hand/wrist. You should have a doctor exam to confirm. I tell my patients who have pain-free cysts to monitor them. Cysts can go away on their own. If they becomes much larger, painful, or limit function, we can perform an aspiration procedure in the office (needle drainage). Surgery is successful for removal the majority of the time with few complications.

Last updated Dec 25, 2016