U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 28-year-old female asked:

I get severe headaches that start from the eye lid through one side of the head and finish near the neck. could it becluster headache or migraine?

4 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Christine Norton
Family Medicine 25 years experience
Migraine or tension: It could be either a migraine headache or tension headache but a headache diary with more a better description of the pain from the headache might help differentiate the type of headache as well. Is it sharp, dull, pulsating, squeezing, sensitive to light or sound, are you nauseous etc.
Dr. Todd Purkiss
Ophthalmology 18 years experience
Tension headache: What you describe actually sounds most like a normal tension headache. It could also be precipitated by poor posture. For instance, if you're at a computer for long periods and "hunch, " the muscles in your neck and over the top of your head can tighten, creating the pain you describe. Try otc headache medicine. If your headaches are worsening or becoming more frequent, see a doctor.
Dr. Bennett Machanic
Neurology 53 years experience
See neurologist: Does not sound like cluster pattern, but could be migraine, but also may be due to dental, jaw, neck issues, and would assess occipital neuralgia. Get this diagnosed, as many treatments can help.
Dr. Hamid Sajjadi
Ophthalmology 41 years experience
Migraine: You need to have proper exam by a neurologist, MRI and lab workup to rule in a migraine. Cluster headaches are extremely severe, people with broken bones describe it worse that a broken tibia that has extreme pain. Cluster headaches are much more rare than migraines and belong to the trigeminal cephalgia group. The pain is usually unbearable. There may be some watering or redness of the eye.
Last updated Sep 29, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.