Seychelles

I have a lump behind me knee and doctor says its a cyst.it is painful and at times can feel a burning sensation.can it be dvt.

Dr. Steven Busuttil
Vascular Surgery 33 years experience
Unlikely: Although it is possible to be a dvt, the us would tell for sure. It is most likely a popliteal cyst commonly called a bakers cyst. They do sometimes cause symptoms like you describe. An orthopedist can treat this for you.
Dr. Creighton Wright
General Surgery 56 years experience
Possible: More likely feeling a baker's cyst. Means it is large- goes with some arthritis or prior trauma. Dvt has swelling distal and not usually any palpable in popliteal space. Doppler would show the DVT and can demonstrate a cyst as well. They can both happen together!
Dr. John Landi
Phlebology 47 years experience
Baker's cyst.: Cysts behind the knee are common and they are called Baker's cysts. A venous duplex ultrasound will prove the diagnosis and also evaluate you for DVT.

Last updated Feb 25, 2018