Seychelles

I have a lump behind me knee and doctor says its a cyst.it is painful and at times can feel a burning sensation.can it be dvt.

Dr. Steven Busuttil
Surgery - Vascular 34 years experience
Unlikely: Although it is possible to be a dvt, the us would tell for sure. It is most likely a popliteal cyst commonly called a bakers cyst. They do sometimes cause symptoms like you describe. An orthopedist can treat this for you.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Creighton Wright
surgery 57 years experience
Possible: More likely feeling a baker's cyst. Means it is large- goes with some arthritis or prior trauma. Dvt has swelling distal and not usually any palpable in popliteal space. Doppler would show the DVT and can demonstrate a cyst as well. They can both happen together!
Dr. John Landi
Phlebology 48 years experience
Baker's cyst.: Cysts behind the knee are common and they are called Baker's cysts. A venous duplex ultrasound will prove the diagnosis and also evaluate you for DVT.
Last updated Feb 25, 2018