why when i'm sleeping in my sides, the arm i'm sleeping on, my hand goes numb. this just started a month ago, and it happens every night all night?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Pietro Seni
46 years experience Orthopedic Surgery
Nerve compression: The numbness in your hand is probably due to compression of the ulnar nerve at the elbow, it will give you numbness of the little finger and ring fingers.You may olso be compressing the median nerve and that will give you numbness of the middle, index and thumb.You need to learn how to change positios very frquenly in order to avoid continuos compression of the nerve.
Answered on Jul 4, 2013
4
Dr. Christopher Wilson
20 years experience Sleep Medicine
Nerve compression : You may be temporarily compressing a nerve while laying on it or carpal tunnel and cubital tunnel syndromes can cause this as well and can lead to permanent complications if not appropriately treated.
Answered on Feb 1, 2015
4