Gibraltar

Is crohn disease contagious, how common is it in babies?

Dr. Martin Raff
Infectious Disease 57 years experience
Crohn's disease: This is not a communicable condition, as far we understand it. Its etiology has been attributed to colonization of the gut with different organisms (a british doctor thinks a tb-like bacillus) and an abnormal host immune response to these. 20% of cases occur in children, but the youngest are in the range of 7-8 years, and often in families with adult crohns, suggesting hereditary component.
Dr. Jonah Essers
Pediatric Gastroenterology 19 years experience
The youngest reported ages are closer to two actually. But this is not very common. In pediatric GI, we follow children typically aged 5-8 as the "younger onset" cases.
Apr 14, 2014