U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 38-year-old female asked:

I have a fractured sesamoid, is cortizone (hydrocortisone) shot only treatment?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jimmy Bowen
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 35 years experience
Fractured sesamoid: Cortisone injection is not a treatment for a fractured sesamoid. Protected weight bearing until healed is the treatment.
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Nuclear Medicine 53 years experience
Support : Padding, strapping, or taping;immobilization in cast, nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen, physical therapy or orthotic device can be utilized. You should consult orthopedic surgeon. Surgery is sometimes suggested if do not respond to more conservative treatments.

Similar questions

A 36-year-old member asked:

What is the treatment for cortizone (hydrocortisone) overdose?

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Michael Zacharisen
Allergy and Immunology 34 years experience
Slowly back down: If a person has been using high dose or long term oral or injectable steroids (cortisone) then it is crucial to gradually taper the dose to prevent what is called adrenal insufficiency. It a very large dose of steroid causes the adrenal gland to stop producing steroid, the rapid withdrawal can lead to severe symptoms including death. Gradually taper steroids if had high dose or long term use.
Last updated Sep 29, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.