What to do if i have cystic fibrosis and want breast implants?

9 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Tom Pousti answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Difficult Situation…: Much will depend on your overall health and pulmonary status. I would suggest that you start with an open communication with the doctors that know you best, including your pulmonologist. It may not be in your best interests to undergo elective surgery… remember, safety first. Best wishes.

Answered 9/12/2017

5.2k views

Dr. Daniel Careaga answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Up to your lung dr.: Nobody knows your pulmonary status better than your pulmonologist. If s/he thinks it's ok to undergo general anesthesia then find a plastic surgeon and have a conversation about your options.

Answered 7/14/2013

5.1k views

Dr. Otto Placik answered

Specializes in Surgery - Plastics

Risks vs benefits: As dr. Pousti has indicated, the risks of surgery may outweigh the benefits of the procedure. This involves a complex analysis to discuss with your health care providers who may feel that it is not in your best interests.

Answered 2/22/2014

5.1k views

Dr. Christopher Khorsandi answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

risk vs reward: As my colleagues have mentioned, it is important for you to have a thorough evaluation and discuss your plans with your pulmonologist. The risk of surgical intubation and possible pneumonia, the potential for complication, including infection should be taken into consideration. Speak to a board-certified plastic surgeon and have this person open a dialogue with your pulmonologist.

Answered 7/18/2017

4.9k views