since becoming pregnant, my skin has become blotchy. my mom said that it’s a sign of high blood pressure and i should call my doctor. is this true?

Dr. Sheila Goodman
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
No: Blotchy skin is normally related to some increased fluid in the deeper layers of the skin. This is the same as what happens when your ankles swell. This is normal in pregnancy since blood vessels dilate and have more fluid leak out into the surrounding tissues. If the swelling happens suddenly or seems severe, that is when you should call your doctor.
Answered on May 6, 2013
12