U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 19-year-old male asked:

My ortho told me i had a class iii severe malocclusion on the right side of mouth and a class i on the left side of my mouth. will this need surgery or will elastics fix this?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 42 years experience
Your orthodontist is the best one to ask this question and any others that you may have. They have examined you, taken radiographs, and made measurements. A consultation with an oral surgeon may be in order. Together, as a team, they will give you that picture perfect smile. It is not possible to advise you further, sight unseen.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 55 years experience
To answer your question requires a full diagnostic work up. Your question doesn't answer dental? skeletal? both? severity? problems in vertical and/or transverse planes of space or just sagittal? Have your specialist Orthodontist do full analysis. Referral to Oral Surgeon may or may not be required. In a 19 year old non-growing female elastics alone will not correct skeletal abnormalities
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jan 5, 2023


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.