U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 21-year-old female asked:

I have awful muscle aches in my lumbar region, it has caused the rest of my back to compensate & start to hurt as well. should i see an orthopedic doctor before seeing a chiropractor? im 21 & lift heavy at my gym which i suppose started all of this?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice 53 years experience
Ongoing back pain is best diagnosed by Orthopedic doctors; Chiropractors “do not diagnose.”Onset of back pain after weight lifting suggests the sufferer should ask a Sports Orthopedist to evaluate their back & advise what type and how much lifted weight is most appropriate for ongoing exercise. Pain is a warning sign. The human back is not bio-engineered for efficient “crane lifting” functions.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Dec 29, 2022


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.