Pinnacle, NC

If i stepped on what appeared to be blood at the pediatrician's office by accident, could i get hiv or spread it to my family on the bottom of my shoe?

Dr. Eugene Batelli
24 years experience
Not likely: The chance of HIV in that particular blood sample is low. Wash shoe with a bleach soln. Only theoretical way would be if u had an open wound and rubbed it in to the blood on the shoe.
Dr. Jonathan Posner
Podiatry 28 years experience
Not likely: Hiv does not live outside of the body long especially if its not protected in a vessal like a syringe. Your skin is enough to protect you from contamination as long as you don't have any open sores(and even then the blood would have to be pretty fresh for a chance of infection). The odds of the blood having HIV from your pediatricians office is also small.
Last updated Feb 27, 2017