Canada

My platelet count is 478 (ranges from 450 for the past year). doc told to take iron pills daily and ferritin is normal. was high platelets the cause of my 2 pregnancy losses? also been ttc now for 2 years?

Dr. Samuel Galima
Thrombocytosis, or high platelets, is defined as persistently greater than 450,000 platelets/microliter. Iron pills will replenish the low iron and hemoglobin and hematocrit if someone has iron deficient anemia. If a repeat CBC has not improved the anemia and platelet count, a peripheral smear should be obtained and possibly see hematology. Additional labs are needed for recurrent pregnancy loss
Dr. Silviu Pasniciuc
The pregnancy losses are highly suggestive of antiphospholipid syndrome and the mildly elevated platelets do not seem to be related anymore to low iron, but rather to an inflammatory disease. Start with your primary care as further work up may be needed with the help of a specialist, rheumatologist or hematology.
Last updated Jan 10, 2022