PH

Is drinking 3 liters of waters everyday good for my kidneys? it's the advice of my nephrologist. i have renal parenchymal disease, bilateral.

Dr. Tarek Naguib
Nephrology and Dialysis 41 years experience
Depends: If you have stones in kidneys, you need lots of fluids. If you have edema or take Lasix (furosemide) (water pills) you needn't to drink much since you already have lots of fluids in your system. If none of the above, 1-3 liters are ok. The range is d/t the weather. Near 3 liters in summer or athletic activity and near 1 liter if no losses. Discuss with your doc to see his point. Parenchymal dz is not specific.
Dr. Rex Mahnensmith
45 years experience
Water intake: Generally speaking, yes, this is good and generally safe. It is important to flush the kidneys and maintain high urine flow. Your urine volume should match your fluid intake per day. Maintain regular check ups and blood testing appointments.

Last updated Aug 9, 2014