U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Huntington, NY
A 34-year-old female asked:

Renal sonogram of kidney for high bp showed no stenosis but showed a 4mm angiomyolipoma in the upper pole of kidney. should i see a nephrologist?

3 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jared Adams
12 years experience
Not necessary: Angiomyolipomas are benign, it is small, and doing something about it would only cause problems when it is not causing any.
Dr. James Krick
Urology 37 years experience
Angiomyolipomas : Although angiomyolipomas are benign lesions, i don't feel that that diagnosis can be conclusively reached by ultrasound alone. I would recommend that you have a contrast enhanced ct or mri.
Dr. Rex Mahnensmith
A Verified Doctoranswered
45 years experience
Angiomyolipoma: A small angiomyolipoma of 4 mm does not require special care by a nephrologist. See a urologist. Be followed with ultrasound every 6 months to determine if it grows. An interventional radiologist can perform cryoablation of these or they can be removed surgically.
Last updated Apr 28, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.