NM

My urology nurse practioner prescribed nabumetone 500 mg tab for a week, followed by 4 weeks of doxycycline hyclate 100mg. after i talked about urine hesitancy and after she performed a prostate exam saying prostate felt inflammed. thoughts?

Dr. Hiep Le
Dr. Hiep Leanswered
Nephrology and Dialysis 44 years experience
Doxycycline is not the drug of choice for bacterial prostatitis. I do not use it without a culture result which indicates the bacteria are only sensitive to Doxycycline. Rectal exam alone is not the correct way to diagnose the acute bacterial prostatitis. I am not sure why she prescribed a NSAID first for one week before antibiotic. You need to see the urologist and request a formal urine tests.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Birendra Tandan
Urology 36 years experience
Hesitancy is a vague symptom and not necessarily indicative of prostatitis which is acute or chronic. In acute there is fever chills dysuria etc. In chronic there is pain? discomfort in the prostate area, and other urinary symptoms and is relatively uncommon ate your age. With your description I do not believe you had a prostatic problem.
Last updated Oct 26, 2021