My ast is 54 alt was 21 my lipid panel was all normal bmi is 22 and i dont drink alcohol or take tylenol or any meds. what could be the cause. concerns for liver failure and toxicity?

Dr. Hiep Le
Dr. Hiep Leanswered
Nephrology and Dialysis 44 years experience
If I recall correctly you asked this question before. AST is not a specific maker of liver disease unless you are an alcoholic. Liver enzymes fluctuate a lot with routine blood test. You should not lose sleep with this result. If it concerns you too much, you can have the test repeated.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Michael Sood
Greetings,. As a board specialized internist and cardiologist I think you ask a very good question. Isolated rises of transaminases can be an incidental finding but more often a sign of persistent liver damage or inflammation. Fortunately your number is low. You should have a liver ultrasound to exclude a fatty liver, which is common and hepatitis and rheumatologic screening via blood work..