San Jose, CA

I had an ekg and all the results were in the standard range. the sinus rhythm is normal but it said possible left atrial abnormality. is this something i should be concerned about? my doctor says results are normal but i dont want to have a stroke?

Dr. Joseph Marra
Radiology 30 years experience
I do not have your EKG to personally evaluate, from what you've stated (it shows normal sinus rhythm), I would listen to your doctor and not be overly concerned. In cases where someone is in a rhythm called "atrial fibrillation" (which you don't have), the atrium doesn't contract normally and blood clotting may result. In those cases blood thinners are often recommended to prevent stroke.
"possible left atrial abnormality" is as vague as it can be. If left atrial abnormality is indeed present, it is abnormal but expected in most older individuals especially if there is a history of high blood pressure. If your doctor knows you, be reassured. If you are hypertensive, make sure your blood pressure is well controlled. Good luck.
Last updated Sep 28, 2021