Milledgeville, GA

I was told that my heart looked great at the cardiologist after my echo. i was referred for a cath prcedure. cath showed significant aortic stenosis and a stiff left ventricle. can an echo miss these problems?

Dr. Jerome Zacks
Cardiology 52 years experience
The function of the heart, on the Echo, can remain normal despite significant narrowing of the aortic valve. However, that narrowing (stenosis) should be visible on the Echo. It might have been the reason you were advised to undergo a Cardiac Catheterization.
Dr. Ramalingaier Parameswaran
Referral for catheterization as indicated by the result was appropriate. It appears that the echocardiogram was technically inadequate, or performed by a technician without adequate experience. You should discuss this with your physician to provide clarification.

Last updated Jul 29, 2021