U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 37-year-old male asked:

Knee pain for decade and no particular injury or accident. mri said chondromalacia patella and medial posterior meniscus horizontal tear with mild joint fluid effusion. need diagnosis/name of disease. is it permanent? surgery recommended?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Bennett Machanic
Neurology 53 years experience
First, you describe wear and tear "chondromalacia", and an injury to at least one meniscus. Would consult with an orthopedic surgeon. Surgery is not always the approach, as a steroid injection and a series of hyaluronic acid injections might be preferred approaches. Physical therapy definitely should be commenced.
Dr. Jeffrey Trantalis, DPM
Podiatry 43 years experience
Very young for this problem. You could have a biomechanical problem causing abnormal wear of the he joint cartilage. If you have “flat”feet or muscle imbalance or rotation at the hip can be involved.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Sep 8, 2021


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.