U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
United Arab Emirates
A 68-year-old male asked:

Mri of knee shows "oblique tear posterior horn medial meniscus, lateral patellar plica and minimal synovial knee effusion" will i need surgery? or ?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. M. Hytham Beck
Surgery 44 years experience
Most likely: most likely yes but it could be a simple surgery done by a scope to repair the tear of course go and see a bone doctor or knee specialist can help you good luck
Dr. James Okamoto
Family Medicine 30 years experience
Possibly: It depends on the degree of tear, how much it is effecting your daily activities and whether it responds to conservative treatment. If the plica does not get better with anti inflammatory meds you will most likely need arthroscopic surgery to remove it, although your orthopedic surgeon will be the best MD to determine that.
Last updated Dec 5, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.